Mkhuze Game Reserve Mantuma
Mkuze Game Reserve
If you are planning a safari trip in Mkuze Game Reserve, you should know that there are a number of different types of accommodation available in the park. In this article, we look at some of the options, including Mantuma Camp, Tented Safari Camp
2 x 6 bed Cottages
5 x 4 bed Chalets
4 x 2 bed Chalets
6 x 2 bed Rest huts, communal facilities
10 x 2 bed Safari tents
3 x 4 bed Safari tents
Mantuma Camp is located in the Big 5, Mkhuze Game Rerserve, northern Zululand, KwaZulu-Natal. Drive time from Durban on the N2 north is approximately 3.5 hours.
Mkhuze Game Reserve Map
Mkuze game reserve accommodation
The Mkuze Game Reserve has a total of nine rest camps spread over its expanse. These are spread across several sections and are well-manicured. Mantuma Camp has been actively involved in reintroducing species to the reserve. Its two-bed Rest huts are open and unfenced, enabling you to see wildlife from a unique perspective. You can also use the satellite map to see its exact location.
Guests can experience the African bush close up in the Mkuze Game Reserve. The camp is situated within 40 000 ha of protected wilderness. The reserve is an excellent location for birdwatching, with over 420 species recorded. The Mkuze Game Reserve is also close to Swaziland. There are several ways to get to the game reserve, including a scenic drive. This can be done by car, and the camp has its own shuttle service.
Tented Safari Camp
Staying in a tent in the Mkuze Game Reserve is a memorable way to experience the African bush. The spacious and romantic tents are decorated with sophisticated safari chic and are perfect for couples, honeymooners, and special occasion travelers.
They have their own private lounge and en suite bathroom and come with splash pools and views of the Mkuze Game Reserves surrounding flora and fauna. There are two other options at the camp, one of which is a family unit.
Located in northern Zululand, the Mkuze is home to 40 000 acres of protected wildlife area. It is also a gateway to Swaziland and is less than four hours' drive from Durban. It is 340 km from Johannesburg and 480 km from Durban. Guests can enjoy a day trip to Swaziland by car or air-conditioned vehicle.
- Is situated in Northern Zululand, roughly 335 km from Durban. The reserve was established on 15 February 1912 and is 40 000 ha in extent. Today it forms part of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
What To Do On Arrival to Mkuze Game Reserve
- Overnight visitors are requested to check in at the Reception office at Mantuma Camp. Visitors may take up their accommodation from 14:00 and check out time is 10:00. All visitors must pay an entrance fee at the gate.
General Mkhuze Mantuma Camp Info
- No pets are permitted in the reserve. No firewood may be collected in the reserve. The water is chlorinated and filtered for human consumption but is very salty. Mineral/spring water is on sale at the camp curio shop and Rhino-Dine-O takeaway. Basic food stuffs and a variety of curio items are on sale at the curio shop.
- It is advisable to bring binoculars, a first aid kit, a torch, insect repellent, a hat and sun-tan lotion. Unleaded petrol and diesel are on sale at the Camp. Visitors are urged to take precautions against malaria before, during and after a visit to the reserve.
- Mosquito nets are provided in each accommodation unit. Gate entry times: Summer (1 October - 31 March) 05:00 - 19:00, Winter (1 April - 30 September) 06:00 - 18:00. These times are strictly enforced.
- The accommodation complexes are either not fenced or do not have a totally game proof fence surrounding them. Please do not walk beyond the vicinity of your own chalet or campsite after sunset unless it is essential to do so. Office hours are from 08:00 - 16:30 daily. Sundays and Public Holidays are 08:00 - 16:00 daily.
- The hides are being renovated at uMkhuze and will not be available for game viewing until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
How To Get There:
Mkhuze Game Reserve
- From the south, the turn-off to the Mkhuze Game Reserve is signposted 35 km north of Hluhluwe.
- From this point, the road is gravel.
- Approximately 15 km further turn right onto another signposted road through the Lebombo mountains.
- The entrance is 10 km along this road and the route is clearly signposted.
- Visitors from the north should take the road through Mkuze Village, which is 18 km from the entrance gate and 28 km from Mantuma camp.
- This road is well signposted.
Mkhuze Game Reserve Mantuma Accommodation options
|Two bed chalets:
| Four bed chalets:
| Two bed safari tents:
| Four bed safari tents:
|6 bed cottage:
| Rest Huts:
The area is noted for its wide variety of both bird and animal life Most of the big game species including lion, elephant, white and black rhino, buffalo, leopard and giraffe occur in the area.
But never a guarantee, depend on time of the year.Apart from guided game drives, there are self-guided auto trails traversing in excess of 200 km of roads throughout the park.
So you are free to explore in your own car, the main roads are fine for cars, which are tar , all other roads are weather dependent.Early morning and late afternoon walks are particularly rewarding. Several hides are available throughout the park.
There are also, Birds (everywhere) Over 600 species for great photos.Mthwazi Lodge is a Great place to Sit and unwind in the sounds of the South African bush letting the city live melt away. Fires at night with the unmistakable night sounds of the African Bush Just sitting back Sipping on a great of Port of age..
Mkhuze is a place of great beauty and high contrasts and is renowned as a mecca for bird watchers with a bird list well in excess of four hundred. Predominantly flat and dry, with sandy ridges which are ancient dunes, it harbours an astonishing diversity of natural habitats.
These range from the eastern slopes of the Lebombo mountains which lie along its western boundary, to broad stretches of gently rolling acacia savannah, swamps and a variety of woodlands and riverine forest The low lying hollows adjacent to the red sand dunes contain attractive groves of scented thorn which grow in clay soils.
There is a substantial and rare sand forest found in the heart of the reserve, a habitat noted for its dark-leafed, wide spreading sherbert tree, and the red heart tree, which create a lovely sight in autumn with their pink winged seeds.
- This diversity of habitats means a wide variety of animal species including black and white rhinoceros, elephant, giraffe, nyala, blue wildebeest, warthog, eland, hippo, impala, kudu and other smaller antelope. Rare species occurring in the reserve are cheetah, hyaena, suni and leopard. Three game viewing hides have been constructed next to the Kubube, Kamasinga, Kwamalibala pans.
- Visitors park their cars and enter the hides on foot. Depending on the surface water in the reserve, but normally during the drier winter months,large concentrations of game may be seen at the waterholes. Visitors are therefore offered excellent views of most of the reserve’s larger mammals. These hides offer unique opportunities to photographers and many famous wildlife pictures have been taken there via : www.kznwildlife.com